Last week the most common ailment people visited the clinic for was Rheumatoid Arthritis 😖
In Ayurveda, rheumatoid arthritis is known as amavata and was described in great detail by Madhava in the classical Ayurvedic textbook, the Madhava Nidanam 📖
Amavata is named after the two involving pathological factors – Ama and Vata and is the condition where stiffness of the body occurs due to the lodgement of Ama (digestive toxins) and Vata in the joints🦵🏼💪🏼
When Ama combines with the Vayu it then gives rise to:
- vibandha/ constipation
- mandagni/ impaired digestion
- stambha/ stiffness
- antra kujana/ gurgling sound
- vedana/ pain 😣
- shopha/ oedema
- pin prick sensation which gradually affects the body parts one after the other.
The diagnosis of RA is often done with the following observation:
- Stiff joints in the morning
- Arthritis of three or more joints
- Arthritis of the joints of the hands 🤚🏼
- Symmetrical arthritis
- Rh factor positive
- Rh nodules present
- Typical X-ray changes
The etiological factors are considered to be:
- incompatible diet ❌
- erroneous habits
- diminished digestive fire 🔥
- sedentary lifestyle
- exercising soon after having a meal
A few of the treatments include:
- Deepana Pachana (to boost the digestive fire and remove toxins) herbs which are tikta (bitter) and katu (pungent) rasa (taste), such as Panchakola and Vaishvanara churna 🌿
- Fasting (langana)
- Ruksha pinda sveda, valuka Sveda and patra Pinda Sveda treatment with leaves such as veranda, shire, nirguni, chincha and Dhatthura.
- Formulations such as Kolakulathadi churna and Kottamchukadi churna
- Swedana/ sweating 😅
- Panchakarma, especially virechana.
- Basti (Vaitarana basti)
- Agni chikitsa 🔥
- Rasayana, rejuvenation treatment.
Classical Yogas mentioned in the text include Rasnaguggulu, Yogaraj guggulu , Simhananda guggulu, trydoshanga guggulu, Rasnadikwatham, Rasnasaptaka kashayam.
Castor oil is used for the purgation. Ayurvedic preparations such as Simhananda guggulu have shown positive results in reducing inflammation and pain ✨
Do you or a loved one suffer from Amavata, Rheumatoid arthritis? You’re welcome to book in with one of our practitioners to speak more. The link to book is in our bio 🙏🏼🌿
#rheumatoidarthritis #rheumatism #rheumatoid #ayurveda #ayurvedablog #ayurvedictreatment #panchakarma #amavata #madhava #madhavanidanam #painmanagement #pain #swelling #jointpain #blog #lakshmiayurveda #ayurvedaaustralia #ayurvedaperth
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.