Did you know that the woman who has just given birth should receive a massage on her waist and back, have a herbal bath and cover her 👂 ears ? 😮
Read more to find out about the care of “Sutika”.
In Ayurveda, the condition of the woman immediately after delivery is known by the sanskrit term of Sutika.
A woman is called Sutika till 1.5 month after delivery. Classical vedic texts state the mother can be called Sutika up until she has her first menstruation after delivery. According to Kashyapa Samhita (Ayurvedic textbook on paediatrics), Sutika kala is for a period of six months.
Treatment for the Sutika – I can highly recommend this! Please share if you know anyone who is pregnant or just had a baby 💓
- Abhyanga oil massage especially the first 10 days, the oil is applied over the whole body with special care to the mothers waist, back and breasts. After the expulsion of the placenta, the woman should lie on her abdomen. Her back should be massaged with Bala oil. Another option is to sit on a chair and bend forward resting the arms on a table or bed.
- Herbal bath – we recommend our Ayurvedic bath powder it can be mixed with milk or cream.
- Smoke therapy (over genital area) with ayurvedic herbs – this is done with a special designed chair called yoni chair. We will write more about the Yoni Chair soon. We have them available for you (custom build $390).
- Covering the ears 👂 – the ears should be protected with a scarf not only just for ten days ideally for 45 days 😮. Alternatively to a scarf you can take a small cotton wool and place it in the ear. This is done to avoid any wind exposure including a fan and air conditioning.
- Belly Band – we talked about this in one of our previous posts. The belt supports the now empty and loosened abdomen. This was one of my favourite post partum practices. It felt very comforting and supporting for me.
- Padabhyanga – daily foot massage 🦶 – this is extremely beneficial to balance Vata and Pitta and increase the physical strength. This is something great for the fathers to do 🙂
- Ayurvedic herbs – traditional Dashamoola is given to balance Vata and prevent post partum disorders.
- Ayurvedic diet – warm and cooked food is essential and digestive herbs such as cumin, ajwan, fenugreek, coriander, ginger, fennel etc. are added. Special precaution has to be given for the mother to avoid indigestion. The sutika’s diet requires careful planning. Kashayapa Samhita (Ayurvedic textbook on paediatrics) mentions that indigestion can cause problems to the breast milk and problems for the baby.
For more information about Ayurveda, pre conception, pregnancy and postpartum care email email@example.com.
We look forward hearing from you and wish you a beautiful day.
With Love Karin and the Lakshmi team
#sutika #newmother #newbornbaby #baby #pregnancy #ayurveda #dietafterdelivery #breastfeeding #classicalayurveda #yonichair #dashamoola #postpartum #ayurvedicpostpartumcare #ayurvedicdiet #stanya #breastmilk #bellyband #vata #pitta #kapha #abhyanga #oilmassage #dhanwantharim #classicalayurveda #lakshmi #ayurvedaaustralia #whatsoninfreo #Ayurvedafremantle #lakshmiayurveda
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.