We are currently having a patient with ankylosing spondylitis undergoing an Ayurvedic treatment program at Lakshmi.
This ailment is also known by the name Bechterew’s disease. It is a form of arthritis that primarily affects the spine but other joints such as the shoulders, hips, ribs, heels and the small joints of the hands and feet. The hallmark feature of AS is the involvement of the sacroiliac joint (SI) during the progression of the disease.
This can lead to severe chronic pain and discomfort. Anyone that has experienced or is experiencing limited movement of the back would understand how challenging this condition is.
Ankylosing Spondylitis is often diagnosed in teenage to middle aged individuals, it is more common in males.
- Pain and lack of mobility
- Sometimes the eyes can be involved knowns as Uveitis
- Rarely the lungs and heart are affected.
The diagnosis is done by the rheumatologist with looking at the individuals history, family history, blood work and Xrays.
There is currently NO cure in the western medicine system and it is managed with anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), corticosteroids and anti rheumatic drugs.
Although this condition can be difficult to treat, Ayurveda offers a number of recommendations to help an individual with AS.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, Ankylosing Spondylitis is a result of increased Vata Dosha.
The Vata prakopa (increase) causes degeneration, the increase of ruksha guna (dryness) and Kapha Kshaya (depletion).
If the Vata increases further the spine will take on the shape of a bamboo🎋 (this is called a bamboo spine). When this occurs it causes the decrease of chala guna (moment).
Panchakarma is the ultimate treatment program for this condition.
- Virechana using medicated castor oil
- Basti enema therapy – Yogavasthi which contains the total of eight basti. Five oil based enemas and three herbal decoction enemas. A very effective yoga (formulation) is using honey, salt, dhanwantharam thailam, fennel and Rasnasapthaka kashaya or Ardha matrika vasti mentioned by Cakradatta.
- Patra potali Pinda Sveda with Karpooradi thailam 🌿
- Lepana/ medicinal herbal paste application
- Avagaha / herbal sits bath using Dashamool
- Kati Basti with Kethakeemoladi thailam and Murivenna thailam
- Rasayana rejuvenation therapy
- Lumbar extension exercise 🧘🏻♀️
- Vata pacifying food
If you or anyone you know has AS or symptoms of the condition you are welcome to email us at email@example.com or call us during office hours.
#ayurveda #ankylosing #spondylitis #ayurvedictreatment #degeneration #spinedegeneration #ayurvedaperth #ayurvedafremantle #ayurvedicconsultation #bamboospine #panchakarma #basti #virechana #ayurvedicpractitioner #vata #dosha #massage #balancevata #oilmassage
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.