https://www.lakshmiayurveda.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/spiced-buttermilk.jpg 1080 1080 Karin Lakshmi Gunthor https://www.lakshmiayurveda.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/la-logo.png Karin Lakshmi Gunthor2021-04-29 12:33:122021-04-29 12:33:12Spiced Buttermilk Recipe
If you are suffering from Irritable bowel then this might be very beneficial for you.
- Sambaram is a Kerala style buttermilk.
- Buttermilk is called Takra in Sanskrit.
- Buttermilk is light, astringent and sour in taste. It mitigates Kapha and Vata and improves digestion.
- It cleanses the channels (srotas), it is a mild diuretic and very useful in water retention, oedema, ascites and metabolic syndrome.
- Adding fresh curry leaves to the buttermilk makes it very beneficial if you are suffering from IBS. Charaka has mentioned in the Chikitsa Sthana Chapter 15 the importance of buttermilk for IBS.
So easy to prepare
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 green chilli with the seeds removed (optional)
- 1 sprig of fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp of ginger powder (or a slice of fresh ginger)
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder (or dry roasted cumin seeds)
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
1. Mix the water and the buttermilk thoroughly. If you are using yoghurt add 4 cups of water to 1 cup of yoghurt.
2. Grind the green chilli, ginger, curry leaves, cumin powder in a mortar
3. Add this and some salt to the buttermilk and whisk for about 30 seconds
Classical Reference from Charaka Samhita
Sutra Sthana XXVII
Takra is useful in Shopha (oedema), Arsha (piles), Grahani (IBS), Mutragraha (urine retention), Udara (ascites), Aruchi (anorexia), Snehavyapat (in case of excessive ghee or fat indigestion), Pandu (anaemia) and affliction with Gara Visha/ Krutima Visha (poison).
Buttermilk is of three types
1. From which the fat is completely removed
2. From which half of the fat is removed
3. From which the fat is not removed
We would love to hear how you feel after drinking buttermilk for 7 days. Try the buttermilk challenge
If you like to read more check out our free downloadable with more information about buttermilk.
If you are suffering from IBS or digestive complaints you are welcome to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
With Love your Lakshmi Ayurveda team