Have you heard of Rasayana before?
This is something we talked about at our online chat and chai yesterday.
Rasayana/ rejuvenation is one of the eight branches of Ayurveda. Rasayana can be translated as nourishment of Rasa dhatu. Rasa (Rasadi dhatu) + Ayana (nourishment).
Rasa is the first dhatu, it is the essence of the food we eat. The rasa dhatu circulates all over the body with the help of Vyana Vayu. This already highlights the importance of a suitable, healthy and nutritious diet.
Rasayana According to Charaka
A person undergoing Rasayana/ Rejuvenation therapy attains longevity, memory, intellect, freedom from diseases, youth, excellence lustre complexion, voice, physical strength and proper functioning of the sense organs, respect, Vak-siddhi (what he/she says comes true).
CS. Chi 1:1/7-8
According to Sharagdhara
Rasayana tu tat jneyam yat jara vyadhi nashanam
Rasayana slows down ageing and prevents disease.
Aim of Rasayana
1. To maintain the health of a healthy person 🙂
2. To prolong ageing
3. To treat specific disease
4. Good functioning dhatus/ bodily tissues
5. Stimulate Agni/ digestive fire🔥
6. Improve vitality
7. Increase immunity
8. Good functioning metabolism
9. Increases Ojas
10. improves the intellect 🧠
How is Rasayana practiced?
It is done with following a suitable diet, lifestyle, ayurvedic body treatments, yoga, meditation and preventative medicines.
1. Ahara/ Food
2. Vihara/ lifestyle
3. Dravya/ medicines
It is also mentioned the importance of good conduct and ethical behaviour such as the practices of Yama and Niyama. This is called Achara Rasayana.
There are two types of Rasayan mentioned by Acharya Charaka
1. Kuti praveshika – done inside a special designed cottage (hardly practiced these days)
2. Vatatapika – administered even if the person is exposed to the wind and the sun
Rasayana herbs have also been mentioned according to the age of a person.
Some of the common Rasayana herbs and indications: 🌿🌿🌿
Ashwagandha – Vata disorders
Bala – for strength
Brahmi – for the mind
Guduchi – for autoimmune disease
Haridra, Shilajit – for diabetes
Triphala – for eye disease
Gokshuram – urinary disease
Some well known Rasayana formulation 🍯
Chyavanprash – auto immune disease and respiratory ailments
Agastya Rasayana – respiratory conditions
Ashwagandha Rasayana – neurological disease
Pippali Rasayana – bronchial asthma
Brahmi Rasayana – memory
Rasayana is a practice which is done after undergoing Panchakarma treatment but can also be practiced independently.
If you feel run-down, depleted, suffer from chronic fatigue, autoimmune disease, chronic health issues, have undergone chemotherapy, experience high levels of anxiety and stress then Rasayana treatment will be suitable for you. 💖💖💖
To find out more about Rasayana programmes at Lakshmi Ayurveda click the link below.
For more information or book your initial Ayurvedic consultation email email@example.com
With Love your Lakshmi Ayurveda team 💖
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.