Have you experienced a Shirodhara treatment?
Shirodhara is by far the most iconic treatment of Ayurveda. It is considered the King of all treatments, as it treats a wide variety of conditions in Ayurvedic clinical practice.
The name Shirodhara, comes from the two Sanskrit words Shiras meaning ‘head’ and Dhara meaning ‘to pour’. This deeply relaxing and nurturing treatment involves the continuous pouring of warm medicated oil over the forehead, using a pot with a tap that controls the flow of oil. The oil is gently poured from side to side across the forehead, at times resting over the midpoint of the forehead.
Some of the wonderful benefits of this treatment.
• Warm oil poured over the forehead improves blood supply to the brain, by dilating local blood vessels.
• Pressure and temperature sensors in the skin of the forehead stimulate a somato- autonomic reflex (relaxation response) via the trigeminal cranial nerve.
• By relaxing the mind and central nervous system, it exerts its main effect of balancing Vata.
• In addition, it also affects the other two Doshas, Pitta and Kapha. In simplistic terms, Vata, Pitta and Kapha can be equated to the nervous, endocrine and immune systems respectively.
• Interestingly, recent studies confirm the effect of Shirodhara on these systems, e.g. a reduction in anxiety, a decrease in the hormone noradrenaline, and enhancement of the immune system.
To find out more you are welcome to email: email@example.com
We wish you a beautiful Sunday ☀️
Your Lakshmi Ayurveda team