Listen to the beautiful humming of a bumble bee inside you
Bhramari Bumble Bee breath
The world Bhramari means black bee. During this pranayama the sound of a black bee is produced.
If you do Bhramari regularly, it will open the space within. It has a direct effect on the pineal, pituitary and thyroid gland.
Experience bliss by practicing seven Brahmari Pranayam daily. It should not be practiced more then 17 rounds.
Benefits of this pranayama are:
- Bliss arises in the heart
- Calming of the mind
- Releases tension
- To get rid of anger, frustration
- Anxiety, stress
- Stimulates pineal and pituitary gland and their proper function
- In pregnant or menstruating women
- High blood pressure
- Chest pain
- Ear infection
- In a supine position (lying down)
How to practice Bhramari Pranayama
It is best practiced on an empty stomach early morning or night. There are fewer distracting noises and our inner perception is more profound.
1. Sit in a comfortable meditative Asana (half lotus)
2. Sit up straight in a quiet, well ventilated corner with your eyes closed. Keep a gentle smile on your face
3. Keep your eyes closed for some time. Observe the sensations in the body and the quietness within
4. To begin take a deep long breath through the nostrils bringing all the breath all the way into the belly. Drop the chin to the chest and begin to exhale slowly
5. Place your index fingers on your ears. There is a cartilage between your cheek and ear. Place your index fingers on the cartilage or you can use your index and middle finger to cover your eyes and the thumb to cover your ears (see picture).
6. Take a deep breath in and as you breathe out, gently press the cartilage to close your ears. You can keep the cartilage pressed, while making a loud humming sound like a bee
7. You can also make a low-pitched sound but it is a good idea to make a high-pitched one for better results
8. Breathe in again and continue the same pattern seven times.
Focus on making the sound soft smooth and steady
Bring the tip of your tongue behind the upper font teeth
Bring your awareness to the centre of the head to the Ajna chakra
After the final exhalation allow your breath to return to normal and observe any changes (emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually)
Have a beautiful start to the day and reflect on the humming sound within.
With love your Lakshmi Ayurveda team
PS: there are several studies done on the effect of Bhramari Pranayama