The dravyas (substances) that reduce or alleviate Kandu (itch) are called as Kandughna. Kandu is predominantly a kapha disorder, when there is excess kapha the srotas (channel) gets blocked/ obstructed leading to an accumulation of moisture/ kleda which then leads to Kandu (itchiness). Kandu can also be produced by Rakta/ blood and Pitta vitiating.
Kandughna dravyas process laghu/ light, ushna/hot, ruksha/dry, tikshna/sharp and lekhana/scraping properties.
Tikta rasa and sheeta virya which counteract the vitiation of kapha, pitta and rakta.
These properties also cleanse the srotas (bodily channels).
Nimba/ Neem (Azadirachta indica in latin) is a herb useful in Kandu.
Synonym for Neem are:
Pichumarda – that which alleviates the doshas
Paribhadra – strong tree
Vara tikta – very tikta/ bitter
Krimighna – anti parasite
Its Ayurvedic properties are
Rasa: tikta/bitter, kashaya/astringent
Guna: laghu/light, ruksha/dry
1. Best anti microbial herb and blood purifier, useful in a variety of skin disease, diabetes, diabetic wounds and non healing ulcers
2. Application of the paste of the leaves alleviates the itching and burning sensation of the skin.
3. The decoction of neem leaves is useful for gargles in dental and oral disease
4. Used for dhoopana/ fumigation
5. It is considered auspicious and said to protect from bad spirits (it is called Rakshoghna dravya)
6. A good medicine for amlapitta (acidity, sour belching) as it dries up the excess drava of pitta due to its tikta/bitter rasa and ruksha/dry guna.
7. Stanyasodhaka – purifies breast milk
8. Raktapittaghna – stops bleeding disorder
9. Neem oil is useful to treat head lice
10. Useful in treating obesity
11. Useful in treating fever, Boil 20 gm of Nimba skin, mashed, add 500 ml of water, boil and reduce to 1/8th. Give with honey to alleviate fever
Dried Neem leaves can be added when storing grains to keep them pest free – How amazing is this 🙂 We offer a variety of neem based products in the Lakshmi Ayurveda shop. The link to our shop is in our bio. You are welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions 🌿
Organic Neem Capsules: https://www.lakshmiayurveda.com.au/…/neemnimba-azadirachta…/
Organic Neem Leaves: https://www.lakshmiayurveda.com.au/pro…/organic-neem-leaves/
Neem Seed Oil:
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.