We talked about the creeper Mandukaparni/ Gotu kola a few days back, lets look at Brahmi/ bacopa monnieri today 🙂
The Sanskrit word Brahmi is derived from ‘brahma’ the creator of the universe.
Mandukaparni/ Centella asiatica is different from Brahmi. It can be confusing as in some parts of India the name Brahmi applies to Mandukaparni.
Bacopa monieri is considered as the true Brahmi.
Ayurvedic properties are:
Rasa: tikta and kashaya
Guna: laghu (light) and sara(laxative)
Prabhava/ special potency: alleviates apasmara/ epilepsy and unmada/ hysteria
Dosha: Tridosha mainly Kaphapittahara, can increase Vata in excess
It’s Ayurvedic actions are:
1. Medhya, intellect promoting, boosts the memory,
2. Useful in disorders such as epilepsy (Apasmara)
3. Rasayana, it is also praised as a Majjadhatu rasayana as it rejuvenates the nervous system. Useful in Parkinson’s, ADHD, Asperger’s syndrome.
4. Shotha/ oedema – brahmi has a mild diuretic property
5. Smritiprada – promotes the intellect and intelligence.
6. Samjna sthapana- restores consciousness
7. Ayushya – increases longevity
8. Vishahara – anti poising properties
9. Kasa/ cough. In hoarseness of voice brahmi, pippali, vasa and haridra is chewed.
10. Pandu/ Anaemia
11. Prameha/ Diabetes.
12. Kusthaghna – alleviates skin conditions especially with an underlying nervous imbalance.
14. Anuloma – redirects the flow of vata downwards
15. Hridaya – heart tonic
16. Balya- gives strength (especially to the mind)
17. It can cool the heat of cystitis and pain of dysuria by eliminating pitta out of the mutravahasrotas. Medicated milk with brahmi is best for this.
18. Brahmi nourishes all seven dhatus (tissues)
Parts used: The whole plant
Famous formulations with Brahmi are:
Brahmi siddha taila
Brahmi can also be used externally:
The paste prepared of Brahmi churna is applied in arthritis to relieve the pain and swelling of the joints.
The medicated oil of Brahmi augments hair growth and imparts calming effect on the mind.
Brahmi suppresses the appetite and it should be used alongside a digestive stimulant such as ginger or cardamom
If combined with ghee or milk to enhance its tonifying, nerve nourishing and pitta cooling effect.
This creeper is available in Australia, try to plant your own Brahmi in your garden, it is a water loving plant and best to have moist soil or plant it near a pond or an irrigated fields.
We would love to hear from you.
Warmly your Lakshmi Ayurveda team.
#brahmi#bacopa#herbs#medicinalherbs#treatadhd#treatanxiety#treatdepression#improveyourmentalhealth#memoryloss#brainfunction#intellect#decisionmaking#ayurveda#authenticayurveda#ayurvedicmedicine#nature #healingwithnature #lakshmiayurveda