While in India I have been having Golden Milk each night before going to bed. Usually I wake up multiple times throughout the night but as I continue to drink the milk I’m sleeping deeper and waking up more refreshed. The milk comes from the Ashram I am staying, at the Goshala cowshed where they protect and nurture cows. Cows are considered sacred and they’re never sold or abandoned, given space to roam, and the milk tastes heavenly!
Golden milk is a drink consumed to help balance the doshas, promote healthy sleeping patterns, improve arthritis, and boost the memory. Turmeric is the spice used to make the drink golden in colour. Considered an anupana, milk helps carry herbs and medicines, such as Turmeric, deep within the channels of the body. Try making this recipe before bed to help relax into sleep.
1. Place the turmeric powder in a saucepan. Slowly add the water and heat the mixture until it becomes a paste. Stir regularly and be careful not to burn!
2. Once the turmeric has become a paste, add the milk.
3. Stir and heat without boiling.
4. Add the ghee and cinnamon.
5. Warm the mixture until it starts to steam.
6. If using jaggery, you can add it straight away. If you’re using honey, wait until the milk has slightly cooled and add to drink.
If you do not drink cows milk you can use an alternative nut milk of your preference. Try adding the Lakshmi Organic and Biodynamic Ghee to make your Golden Milk even more tasty! Our best-selling item, the ghee is made on the auspicious full moon from the highest quality butter.
Enjoy your milk this evening and sleep well 😊
With love, Kelsey.