Ayurveda for Hair Health 👩🏻
From an Ayurvedic perspective, the characteristics of your hair vary based on your unique constitution, your prakruti. Due to imbalance, we can experience dry or frizzy, oily or hair loss. Try these Ayurvedic remedies and recommendations to encourage hair growth and revitalisation.
How to identify imbalances through the hair? 🤷🏻♀️
Vata Imbalance: 💨 Think about the qualities of Vata; dry, movement, unpredictability: these qualities are also apparent in the hair of an individual with Vata in their constitution, or those experiencing a Vata imbalance. Flakiness of the scalp is one experience of excess Vata in the scalp. In balance, Vata hair grows rather quickly.
Pitta Imbalance: The qualities of Pitta 🔥💦 Someone facing a Pitta imbalance may experience hair loss, even to the point of balding due to inflammation at the root of the hair follicle. Pitta hair is generally straight and may have a bit of red in colour. Premature greying is one symptom of a Pitta imbalance.
Kapha Imbalance: 💧🌏 the oily and heavy qualities of Kapha can correlate into the health of one’s hair. Therefore, those with a Kapha imbalance may experience overly thick and oily, heavy appearance of hair. The qualities of Kapha hair, thick, shiny and full of life are typically envied by the crowds!
How to treat the imbalances?
Because each imbalance is unique in itself, we must look at the cause of the imbalanced state. We recommend you speak with your practitioner about your hair concerns, but he have provided you with a few generic hair health recommendations to try implementing into your health routine.
1. Perform a head massage daily. 💆🏻♀️ The massage helps stimulate blood flow and generates growth of the hair follicles. You can dry massage daily, but we recommend using Ayurvedic
herbs and oils for your head massage at least once a week. Bhringaraj oil or Nilibhringadi oil are great for stimulating hair growth. Alternatively, you can take dried Bhringaraj leaves, grind them, add water to make a paste and apply to your scalp. Leave on for a period of 20 minutes before
2. At all costs, avoid chemicals in your hair products! 💇🏻♀️ As the skin is the largest organ of the body and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream, using chemicals on the head will impact
the health of your entire body. Alternatively, look into purchasing natural shampoos and conditioners. We offer a variety at Lakshmi Ayurveda, also available on our online shop.
3. Amalaki will help to strengthen and revitalise the colour of your hair. You can either take Amalaki internally or combine equal parts Amalaki powder with water or yogurt, apply to
the scalp and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing or washing hair.
4. Over washing strips your hair of the essential and healthy oils. This can create imbalances in the health of your hair. Aim to cut down on the number of times you wash your hair throughout the week. 🧖🏽♀️
5. Both Shirodhara and Shiroabhyanga treatments are excellent for facilitating hair growth!
If you would like more recommendations about keeping your hair healthy, please contact us by email or call 0406 810 547. Don’t forget that the health of your hair is often indicative of your overall health! Nourish your body with sattvic foods, lifestyle and
With love from your Lakshmi team, have a beautiful day 💛