Do you know anyone who has Psoriasis, or are you suffering with Psoriasis?
If yes, you are not alone. There are 1.6 million people suffering from this ailment in Australia and 125 million people worldwide.
Ayurveda has a great scope for treating this skin ailment.
Psoriasis is a non infectious inflammatory disease of the skin characterised by well defined erythematous plaques with large silvery scales. There is an increased epidermal proliferation due to excessive division of cells in the basal layer of the skin. Keratinocytes of psoriatic skin reach the surface of the skin from the basal layer in 6-8 days compared to approximately 40 days in normal skin.
Skin disease is described under Kushta Roga in the classical Ayurvedic text. Kitibha is a Kushta (skin disease) which can be correlated with the modern medical diagnosis of Psoriasis. Psoriasis comes under Vata – Kapha samsarga of Kushta disease. It is important for the Ayurvedic physician to know about the dosha vikalpa before starting the treatment.
In Kitibha there is:
1. Shyava (silvery scaly lesion), black brownish discolouration in chronic cases.
2. Kina Khara sparsha (hard and rough to touch like a scar tissue)
3. Parushya (hard to touch)
Kitibha (psoriasis) is one of the varieties of eleven kshudra Kushta. The main doshas involved are Vata and Kapha except in pustular psoriasis which is associated with Pitta dosha.
Causative factors for Kitibha as per Ayurveda are: 😮😮😮
1. Intake of contradictory food like fish and milk, intake of oily and heavy foods, suppression of natural urges like sleep, thirst …
2. intake of food before your previous meal is digested. 🍔🍟🍕🥪🥃🍺
3. Physical exercise in excess heat or just after eating 🤾🏼♂️🏊♀️🏋️♀️
4. Excessive physical activity (Adhika vyayama)
5. Intake of cold water immediately after been exposed to heat ☀️☀️❄️❄️
6. Excess intake of fresh grains, curds, fish, salt and sour substances, black gram, radish, sesame seed and jaggery
7. Day sleeping 💤💤💤
8. Chinta, Shoka – psychological factors like stress 🤯😡🥶
Treatment principle for Psoriasis:
1. Nidanaparivarjan – eliminating the causative factors
2. The patient is presenting with Bahu dosha avastha (severe aggravated doshas). Elimination treatment such as Panchakarma is advised
3. Panchakarma (Vamana and Virechana)
4. Malasodhana – elimination of bodily waste products
5. Vata Kapha shamana treatment (Vata and Kapha balancing treatment)
6. Raktaprasadana– blood purification treatments
7. Thakradhara with Aragwadadi Ganda or Mustha
8. Moordha thailam/ head oiling (to reduce stress)
9. Yoga Meditation, Pranayama for example: annuloma viloma pranayama
10. Rasayana/ Rejuvenation treatment
11. Pathyapathya ahara vihara/ wholesome diet and lifestyle
For Ayurveda practitioners, steps for Shodhana procedure are:
2. Deepana/ Pachana
Psoriasis needs periodical Shodhana (Panchakarma) treatment. It is essential to maintain the balance of Vata and Kapha in Twak (skin tissue).
Ayurvedic formulations for Psoriasis are:
Kaishore gugglu, Manjishtadi kvatha, Aragwadadi kashayam, Panchatikta ghrta and many more.
It is advised to consult your Ayurvedic practitioner before taking any Ayurvedic Medicines. 🌱🌿🍃🌾
Spiritual treatment such as Mantras are encouraged alongside the Panchakarma programme
If you are suffering from Psoriasis we would highly recommend to have a consultation with an Ayurvedic practitioner and discuss how Ayurveda can help.
For more information email us.
With Love your Lakshmi Ayurveda team 🥰🥰🥰