According to the Ayurved Samhita, all people, whether healthy or sick, should avoid the following immediately after eating a meal:
2. Walking long distances
4. Sun exposure
5. Traveling in vehicles
7. Riding on animals (in ancient India this could have been an Elephant)
But for what length of time should we follow these guidelines?
According to Sushruta Samhita the above rules should be observed for a Muhurta (period of 48 minutes) after having food.
How can we interpret these rules in the current age?
1. Avoid excess conversation while eating. Be mindful on how your food tastes and the mechanisms of your chewing. Avoid using digital devices during your meal.
2. Avoid exercise after eating. Wait at least 1.5 hours after a main meal.
3. Don’t have an afternoon sleep after your lunch or lie on the sofa immediately after your dinner.
4. Avoid going to the beach after your meal. Eat in the shade and wait for a while before returning in the sun.
5. Riding on animals: we can relate this point to avoiding long travels in the car after eating. Lucky our roads are not as bumpy as the ancient roads of India. However, the speed of the car or motorbike can be Vata aggravating, which in turn would disturb the digestion.
6. Refrain from swimming after eating. Avoid a hot bath just after eating.
7. Avoid drinking, as excess water will further dilute the food and slow down the digestion.
You can learn more about Ayurvedic nutrition and try delicious recipes by checking out the Lakshmi Team EBook.
#food #eating #ahara #dailyroutine #dietaryguidelines#ayurveda#fundamentals #nutrition #ayurvedicnutrition#ayurvedalife#vata#pitta#kapha#balance#prakriti #vikruti #ama#digestivetoxins #healthydigestion #ayurvedaperth #ayurvedafremantle#ayurvedawesternaustralia#lakshmiayurveda#welovetohelpyou💕
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.