Vata churna is beneficial to balance the Vata Dosha. But what is Vata?
Vata is one of the 3 Doshas (VATA, PITTA and KAPHA).
The five elements (Panchamahabutas/ ether, air, fire, water and earth) combine in pairs and form three dynamic forces called DOSHAS. The entire body functions are explained in terms of these Doshas. As the active or mobile elements, they determine the life processes of growth and decay. When in balance, Doshas are responsible for good health; when out of balance, the Doshas are thecausative forces behind the disease process.
The five elements combine to form the three doshas
- Ether + Air = Vata
- Fire + Water = Pitta
- Water + Earth = Kapha
Vata – Movement
- Attributes of Vata: dry, cold, light, mobile, subtle, rough, irregular
- Vata is the principle of communication and movement. It is the messenger regulating the nervous system and immune system and overseeing the input output functions in our body.
- Vata is responsible for the flow of breath, moves the diaphragm, expression of speech,circulation of blood, elimination of wastes, menstruation, giving birth ….
- Like a current of electricity, Vata is busy. it is responsible for regulating all electrical impulses in the body. Vata is the only moving dosha. Pitta is lame, Kapha is lame, they gowherever the wind (Vata) takes them just like the clouds.
- Vatas main home: Colon and hips
- Vata people tend to have a light, flexible body, big, protruding teeth; small, recessed, dryeyes. With irregular appetite and thirst, they can experience digestive and malabsorption problems.
- Vatas are easily excited, alert and quick to act. They have a great power of imagination and can be very creative.
Vata is responsible for:
- comfortable movements
- regular breathing
- consistent appetite
- normal excretion of wastes
- positive enthusiasm
- healthy desire
- good energy
- calm mind
- inspirational creativity
Imbalanced Vata is prone to:
- dry skin or hair (rough and thin)
- feel the cold easily or have poor circulation with cold hand and feet
- low body weight or difficulties in gaining weight
- anxious mind, restless, agitated and prone to worry and fear
- constipation or have frequent flatulence
- insomnia, unsettled sleep and disturbing dreams
- vaginal dryness, menstrual cramps PMT and PMS
- forgetfulness and absent of mindedness
- discomfort or stiffness in the joints or lower back pain
- poor endurance and becomes easily fatigues
It is very beneficial to have your ayurvedic body constitution and the imbalance assessed by an Ayurvedic physician this will help you to understand your body and mind and enables you to follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle and Ayurvedic eating guidelines suit your needs and learn how to live in harmony.
Useful tips to balance your Vata Dosha
- Follow a daily routine/ Dinacharya
- Daily Abhyanga oil massage with black seed sesame oil
- Keep warm – especially head, neck and feet
- Avoid raw food and follow a Vata balancing diet.
- Warm cooked and moist food is beneficial, use Ghee
- Routine for sleep, eating, working ….
- Drink warm water, avoid cold and fizzy drinks
- Avoid stimulants such as coffee
- Gentle exercise routine
- Avoid staying awake at night
Make your own Vata churna to keep your Vata balanced 🙂
The certain ratio of the spices is beneficial in relieving colic, spasm and gas. It aids in the downward movement (anulomana) of Vata.
- 2 tablespoon of Fennel Seeds
- 1 tablespoon of Cumin Seeds
- 1 tablespoon of Coriander Seeds
- 1 tablespoon of ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of Hing/ Asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon of Ginger powder
How to make it:
- Gentle dry roast the spices
- Grind the toasted spices until it becomes a smooth and even grind powder
- Pour the mixture in a bowl and give it a good stir until it is well combined
- Your Vata spice mix is ready 🙂
How to use it:
- Use it for cooking, sauté with organic Ghee until the aroma is released, add to your cooking (Vegetables, Dhal, soups, Rice……).
- Add 1 tsp of the spice mix per serving.
We hope you will enjoy your homemade Vata churna.
For more information please email: email@example.com
We love to hear from you, with love your Lakshmi Ayurveda team xxx