Have you tried using Hing in your cooking?
Hing or Hingu is a very calming herb and useful in bloating, distension and digestive disorder having carminative properties. The word Hingu is a Sanskrit synonym meaning – effective in thousand ways.
The English word for Hing is Asafoetida.
The resin is collected as an exudate from the root. Unfortunately hing available in many stores is blended with flour, maize and other additives. Hing is primarily from Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan and some parts of Kashmir. At Lakshmi Ayurveda we have Hing available without any additives.
Hing is used in small quantities, it strong flavour make it a great garlic or onion substitute. Hing always need to be sautéed and should not be used raw (best to sauté in Ghee). It will not only give your food a wonderful flavour, it will help digestion and prevents bloating and wind especially when you are eating legumes.
The ayurvedic properties are heating, light and sharp making it is helpful in reducing Vata and Kapha dosha and it increases the pitta dosha.
- Ayurvedic actions of Hing are:
Pachana/ toxin digestive
Sulaprasamana/ alleviates intestinal spasm
Krimighna/ vermifuge (anti parasites)
Anulomana/ redirects and promotes the flow of the Apana vayu
Artavajanana/ promotes the flow of the menses
Vedanasthapana/ pain reducing.
Swasahara/ herbs that are useful in breathing difficulties e.g. asthma
Useful combination and tips:
• Make a paste with warm water and apply on navel area to alleviate abdominal pain in children
• Apply the paste on the chest to help in relieving cough
• Nasal drops of medicated water with hing are helpful in treating colds and migraine.
• Wrap the roasted hing powder in a cotton swab, helpful in alleviating tooth ache.
• Hing, ginger, cardamon and fennel are helpful to improve digestion and increasing agni
• Hingwasthak churna is a classical ayurvedic formulation for digestive disorder regulating Apana vayu.
Enjoy your meal prepared with Hing. Experience the taste and feel the benefit.
Make your meal intake a sacred experience and thank the universe for its abundance.
With love from Lakshmi Ayurveda
For any questions, we love to hear from you: firstname.lastname@example.org
* 𝘗𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘮𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘦𝘯 𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘥 𝘣𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘎𝘈. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘣𝘦 𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘪𝘢𝘨𝘯𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘯 𝘈𝘺𝘶𝘳𝘷𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘤 𝘱𝘩𝘺𝘴𝘪𝘤𝘪𝘢𝘯. 𝘞𝘦 𝘥𝘰 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘨𝘶𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘦 𝘯𝘰 𝘭𝘦𝘨𝘢𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘣𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘺 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘺, 𝘤𝘶𝘳𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘪𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘢𝘭𝘴.