How lucky we are to have a lovely neighbour who has a fig tree in his garden.
Figs are called Anjeer in Hindi. Anjeer has such wonderful medicinal benefits with such a high nutritional value.
Figs are a wonderful source of iron, rich in calcium (more than milk), potassium (more than bananas) and rich in dietary fibres.
The dried fruits are abundant in manganese, iron, magnesium, potassium, and thiamine. These fruits contain 17 different types of amino acids
The ayurvedic properties are sweet (madhura)/ astringent (kashaya) and cold (sheeta) in nature
Figs are great to relive constipation, piles, liver disorder, gum disease, high blood pressure and debility.
1. Anjeer richness is iron makes it a perfect fruit to treat Anaemia.
2. Taken in the morning with Pippali is helpful for Asthma,
3. Chewing figs strengthens teeth, tongue and gums
4. Anjeer alkalises the body blood and maintains proper ph of blood.
5. The richness in calcium makes them ideal for heart, bones, digestive and reproductive health.
6. For cold or sore throat boil dried figs, fenugreek and tulsi leaves. Reduce the water to ¼ and drink it lukewarm
7. Figs are high in antioxidants and studies suggest the anti cancer properties.
So interesting about the fig tree has been mentioned and considered sacred in different religions and cultures around the world.
In Hindu philosophy the tree is sacred to different deities , the roots of one indian species represents Brahma the Creator, the leaves Shiva and the trunk Vishnu the preserver.
Adam and Eve used fig leaves to cover their nakedness. “And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.” (Genesis 3:7).
In ancient Egypt, pharaohs believed that when they died their souls would encounter a Fig tree at the edge of the desert, and that the goddess Hathor would emerge from the foliage to welcome them to heaven
Who would think of all this when eating a Fig!
Food is Medicine
Food is Conciousness
Figs are in season at the moment so this is the best time to eat this wholesome fruit. Also available at Lakshmi Ayurveda after your treatment 🙂
We look forward to welcoming you at Lakshmi Ayurveda
Warmly Karin and the Lakshmi team, email@example.com ph: 0406 810 547