According to Ayurveda good health is dependent upon our capability to fully digest food. When the digestive capacity known as agni is balanced we create healthy tissues (dhatus), eliminate waste products (kitta) and produce a subtle essence called Ojas.
If the agni is weakened there will be an accumulation of toxic residue which is known as Ama.
Ama is considered the be the root cause of most disease.
Do you think you might have Ama after the winter? Symptoms of Ama are fatigue, heaviness, no enthusiasm, indigestion, constipation, loss of taste and appetite, tongue coating, headaches, brain fog/ poor concentration, joint pain, muscle ache and skin problems. By removing Ama from the body and mind we bring a higher state of being to our lives.
Try a simple home detox
1. For a minimum of 1 week eat light food – Kitchari is ideal. Avoid Ama producing food such as ice cream, yoghurt and curds.
2. Drink hot water with fresh ginger, cumin, fennel seeds and black pepper
3. Avoid Caffeine and alcohol
5. Take ayurvedic herbal remedies such as Trikatu and Triphala after each meal
6. If you are prone to constipation take a teaspoon of castor oil with a pinch of dry ginger in a glass of hot water at night
7. Yoga and meditation are ideal to detox the mind as well as the body
You will notice changes once the Ama is digested such as the feeling of lightness, enthusiasm and the senses are more alert and active
Health is the condition of wisdom and the signs of happiness